Ralph’s simple atom bomb recipe.
Building an atomic bomb that you can shoot across the Pacific Ocean on a ballistic missile takes a lot of work. But if all you’re going to do is clear some bush out in the country, you can make this simple atomic bomb in a matter of hours!
The Secret Is In the Black-Eyed Peas
Ingredients you will need:
2 four quart metal mixing bowls
4 lbs of uncooked black-eyed peas
1.5 lbs of enriched uranium (or 1 lb plutonium if available)
(Can’t find enough enriched uranium? see our recipe “How to Enrich Uranium The Easy Way” )
5,000 firecrackers (approximately 1 lb black powder when unwrapped)
2 lbs of Silly Putty®
1 roll of duct tape
1 box cutter
30 feet of #3 string
8oz Zippo® lighter fluid
1 9×13 baking pan
2 large plastic mixing bowls
Approximate Prep Time: Two Hours
Yield – 1 Megaton
- Divide the Silly Putty® into thirds. Put aside two of the pieces. Place the remaining piece into one of the plastic bowls and mix in the uranium quickly and thoroughly. Form into a ball, approximately six inches in diameter.
- When finished put the bowl in the refrigerator, oven or any convenient metal box.
- Inside of each firecracker is about .1 oz of black powder. With the box cutter, slice open each of the firecrackers and empty its black powder into the other plastic bowl. Discard fuses, wrappers, etc.
- Knead the black powder into the remaining two pieces of Silly Putty® for five minutes or until the black powder is evenly distributed.
- Smooth the Silly Putty® mixture evenly into the 9×13 baking pan.
- Take the uranium ball and place it in the middle of the baking pan. Quickly wrap the sheet of black powder Silly Putty® around it to form another, larger, ball.
- Cut a four foot piece of # 3 string from the roll. Push one end of the string at least half way through the Silly Putty® ball.
- Pour 1 lb of black-eyed peas into one of the 4 quart mixing bowls. Take the Silly Putty® ball and place it on top of the peas. Cover the ball with more black-eyed peas until the bowl is nearly full. Leave the remaining piece of string looped over the edge of the bowl.
- Pour five oz of Zippo®lighter fluid evenly around the black-eyed peas.
- Now cover the bowl with a sheet of plastic wrap. The plastic wrap should be large enough to extend over the edges of the mixing bowl by at least an inch. Near the edge on one side of the bowl, make a ¼ inch hole in the plastic wrap and pull the string through. Pull the wrap snugly over the rest of the bowl and secure it to the sides of the bowl with duct tape. Again, make a ¼ inch hole in the duct tape to pull the string through. It is important NOT to tape the string to the side of the mixing bowl. Ensure the string hangs freely through the hole in the duct tape.
- Fill the second four quart mixing bowl with black-eyed peas. Cover with plastic wrap and secure it in place with duct tape.
- Lay each mixing bowl on its side and carefully duct tape the bowls together, the mouth of one bowl to the mouth of the other. Work the string around the duct tape so that it remains exposed. You will now have one large eight quart spherical container.
- Double or triple wrap everything up with more duct tape. Make sure to leave the string hanging freely.
- Tie the remaining #3 string to the piece of string that goes into the Silly Putty® ball.
You are pretty much done. The big duct taped metal sphere you have is an atomic bomb. But don’t worry. It is harmless until you activate the fuse.
Ralph’s Hint: Make them two at a time. It doesn’t take much more time and you’ll be surprised how quickly you’ll use them up.
Getting your bomb ready to explode is simple. Take the bomb to where ever you want to set it off. Remember, this is an ATOMIC Bomb – it makes a big bang. Ensure there are no children or pets about. Watch out for windy conditions that could carry radiation where you don’t want it to go.
Once your bomb is in place, unroll the string so the end of it is at least twenty feet from the bomb. Liberally squirt the remaining Zippo® lighter fluid along the length of the string. It will not take much before it is thoroughly doused. Then simply light the end of the string with a match. Run.